Rules and Regulations for SLWS Exhibits
- Eligibility: Exhibitions are open to members only, except the Annual Juried Exhibition, which is also open to nonmembers. Members in good standing may enter; the Treasurer’s record shall be considered final.
- Only original works may be exhibited. Any copies or work done under instruction will not be accepted. Prints from originals, giclee prints, digital reproductions, and computer art are not eligible.
- Scheduled exhibition venues exclude works featuring the nude figure except for this year’s Big Splash at OA Gallery.
- Paintings must be completed within the last three years.
- Paintings which have won an award, including honorable mention, in previous SLWS shows, or which have been accepted in a juried show sponsored by SLWS, are not eligible for Big Splash or the Annual Juried Exhibition.
- Number of Paintings: Big Splash is limited to one entry with a $5 entry fee; the Annual Juried Exhibition is limited to 3 entries with only 2 eligible to be juried into the show, with an entry fee of $5 per entry for members or, and $10 per entry for nonmembers. Other shows are dependent on space; generally 1 painting per artist.
- Diptychs and triptychs which are under one frame will be considered one entry for entry fee and judging purposes. If under separate frames, they will be considered separate paintings for entry fee and judging/jurying.
- All entries must be executed in water media on paper: organic or synthetic paper, no canvas. Water media includes the following: watercolor, gouache, acrylic, tempera, and casein. Water based oils are excluded. Mixed media paintings must be 80% or more water based. No animal parts may be used in any painting.
- Paintings shall be securely and appropriately framed with a mat and under acrylic/Plexiglas or glass. Screw eyes and wire, adequate for hanging weight, are required. No saw tooth hangers. Maximum framed dimensions on the longest side shall not exceed: 42” for Big Splash and 30” for our Annual Juried Exhibition at Missouri Artists on Main. A white or neutral top mat is strongly suggested for all exhibition venues. The exhibition committee may disallow work not appropriately matted and framed. Exception: paintings which are floated on mat board with some mat border showing are acceptable, and paintings exhibited at CJ Muggs must have acrylic/Plexiglas glazing and are not subject to the maximum framed dimensions.
- Registration forms must be printed and completely filled out in duplicate by the time of entry.
- The exhibition committee has the sole authority to accept, place and hang entries. The action of the exhibition committee shall be considered final.
- SLWS is not responsible for damaged or stolen art work.
- Each artist must adhere to the specified times for receiving and retrieval. Paintings cannot be hung after, or removed before, specified times. All accepted work must remain installed until the designated retrieval time. This applies to all SLWS shows, except CJ Muggs where sold paintings may be replaced with a comparable painting, and the Annual Juried Exhibition at Missouri Artists on Main gallery where the gallery may remove sold artwork when the buyer lives out of town. Artists who are unable to retrieve their own painting may authorize another party to do so; however, the designated representative must show an entry receipt and proof of identification.
- All artwork entered in the Annual Juried Exhibition and Big Splash must be for sale. Commissions will be announced prior to the shows. There is no commission on sales at CJ Muggs. For other venues, SLWS reserves the right to collect a 25% commission on sales, unless otherwise stated.
Revised June 14, 2016