Rules and Regulations for STLWS Exhibits
- Eligibility: Exhibitions are open to members only, except the Annual Juried Exhibition, which is also open to nonmembers. Members in good standing may enter; the Treasurer’s record shall be considered final.
- Only original works may be exhibited. Any copies or work done under instruction or from copyrighted photos/artwork will not be accepted. Prints from originals, giclee prints, digital reproductions, and computer art are not eligible.
- Scheduled exhibition venues may exclude works featuring the nude figure; notice of this exclusion will be announced prior to the exhibition in our call for art.
- Paintings must be completed within the last three years.
- Paintings which have won an award, including honorable mention, in previous STLWS shows, or which have been accepted in a juried show sponsored by STLWS, are not eligible for the Annual Juried Exhibition orthe Annual Membership Awards Exhibition “Big Splash.”
- Number of Paintings: The Annual Membership Awards Exhibition “Big Splash” is limited to 1 entry per member with an entry fee of $15; the Annual Juried Exhibition is limited to 2 entries per artist with an entry fee of $15 for 1 entry and $25 for 2 entries for members, and $65 for 1 entry and $75 for 2 entries for nonmembers. Other shows are dependent on space, generally 1 entry per artist.
NOTE: All are welcome to join the STLWS at any time, even at receiving for exhibitions. All memberships expire the following June 30th; dues are not prorated. To join, complete a membership application found at stlws.org and submit $35 at receiving.
- Diptychs and triptychs which are under one frame will be considered one entry for entry fee and judging purposes. If under separate frames, they will be considered separate paintings for entry fee and judging/jurying.
- All entries must be executed in water media on paper: organic or synthetic paper, no canvas. Water media includes but is not limited to the following: watercolor, gouache, acrylic, tempera, and casein. Water based oils are excluded. Mixed media paintings must be 80% or more water based. No animal parts may be used in any painting.
- Paintings shall be securely and appropriately framed with a mat and under acrylic/Plexiglas or glass. Screw eyes and wire, adequate for hanging weight, are required. No saw tooth hangers. Maximum framed dimensions on the longest side shall not exceed: 32”, plus or minus 1/4”, for all exhibitions. A white/cream top mat is required for all exhibition venues. The exhibition committee may disallow work not appropriately matted and framed. Exception: paintings which are floated on mat board with some mat border showing are acceptable, and paintings exhibited at CJ Muggs must have acrylic/Plexiglas glazing and are not subject to the maximum framed dimensions.
- Registration forms must be printed and completely filled out in duplicate by the time of entry.
- The exhibition committee has the sole authority to accept, place and hang entries. The actions of the exhibition committee shall be considered final.
- STLWS is not responsible for damaged or stolen artwork.
- Each artist must adhere to the specified times for receiving and retrieval. Paintings cannot be hung after, or removed before, specified times. All accepted work must remain installed until the designated retrieval time. This applies to all STLWS shows, except CJ Muggs where sold paintings may be replaced with a comparable painting, and the Annual Juried Exhibition at Missouri Artists on Main gallery where the gallery may remove sold artwork when the buyer lives out of town. Artists who are unable to retrieve their own painting may authorize another party to do so; however, the designated representative must show an entry receipt and proof of identification.
- All artwork entered in the Annual Juried Exhibition and the Annual Membership Awards Exhibition “Big Splash” must be for sale. Commissions will be announced prior to the shows. There is no commission on sales at CJ Muggs. For other venues, STLWS reserves the right to collect a 25% commission on sales, unless otherwise stated.
Revised June 25, 2018