I know some of you are interested in going to Crystal Bridge in Arkansas and Watercolor USA in Springfield this summer. Greater St. Louis Art Assoc has put together a very well organized trip. Here you go. Spaces are limited so dive right in!
The Crystal Bridges Art Tour
A Three Day Charter Trip to Watercolor USA, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art and Eureka Springs, Arkansas
The GSLAA is offering you an opportunity to relax with your art loving friends as we ride in comfort on a luxury charter bus through Southwest Missouri and Northwest Arkansas to Watercolor USA, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, and Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Join us for a unique artist tour through the heart of the Ozarks to view some of America’s finest art.
Leaving St Louis Saturday morning, June 30th we will drive to Springfield, Missouri to spend the afternoon at the Annual National Watercolor Exhibition, Watercolor USA. (More information: www.springfieldmo.gov/art/watercolorusa.html) We’ll stay in Springfield that evening at the Lamplighter Inn & Suites(www.lamplighternorth.com) where you can dine with friends, socialize in the lounge, soak in an indoor pool/spa tub or take in the Springfield Cardinals AAA baseball team as they play the Frisco Texas Rough Riders. (www.springfield.cardinals.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t440)
On day two, Sunday, July 1st, after a free breakfast at the Lamplighter Inn we’ll head to Bentonville, Arkansas to spend the afternoon at the new Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. Crystal Bridges Museum is America’s newest museum opening its doors last year on November 11, 2011. Founded by Alice Walton, the daughter of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton, the museum is already considered “in the top half dozen of American art museums.” The museum’s “quality and its range and depth already place it among one of the very best.”
Celebrating the American Spirit is the inaugural presentation of the Museum’s collection. Featuring more than 400 works by American masters and highlighting the full scope of American art and history, this historic and significant collection has been assembled to showcase the artistic traditions of American art.
After touring Crystal Bridges Museum we will ride to Eureka Springs, Arkansas where we will spend the evening at the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks(www.innoftheozarks.com) in Eureka Springs. You are on your own for dinner at the inn’s country restaurant, Myrtie Mae’s, or you can wander through Eureka Spings enjoying the night life of this quaint city.
On Monday, July 2nd you will be free to spend the morning exploring America’s Victorian Village, Eureka Springs (www.eurekasprings.com). This historic “artists town,” built on the side of a mountain, became a famous vacation town in the early 1900’s when people came from all over the world to rejuvenate themselves in the famous baths and spas of the era. You will have the opportunity to discover historic Spring Street and visit dozens of art galleries, spas, bath houses and quaint shops in this historic town. If you like to paint and draw, take your sketchbook and camera as you explore. Free trolley rides will take you to many of the historic places in the town.
In the early afternoon we will return to St. Louis, with a brief stop in Rolla for dinner. We should arrive back in St. Louis around 9:00 PM.
When: Saturday, June 30ththrough July 2nd, 2012
Costs: $275 per person (double occupancy) $140 deposit required to reserve space.
$380 per person (single occupancy) $180 deposit required to reserve space.
Your fee covers travel, room costs and breakfasts. No fees for the museum admittance. You pay for your lunches and dinners. Tour is limited to 50 participants. Balance will be due by June 20th. If you need to cancel, deposits are fully refundable until June 19th. After June 19th we will refund your deposit if someone takes your place.
This tour is sponsored by the Greater St. Louis Art Association (GSLAA), but is open to all art lovers who wish to attend. You don’t have to be a member of the GSLAA, and there are no additional fees for nonmembers.
The itinerary and details for registering are posted on the www.gslaa.org website You will be able to pay deposits via, PayPal, Credit Card, or by check.
Saturday June 30:
- Leave St. Louis AM, exact time and location to be determined:
- Rest Stop in St. James, MO at St. James Winery
- Possible stop in Rolla, MO to pick up additional art lovers joining our tour.
- Springfield, MO. Lunch is to be decided.
- Afternoon: 2:00 to 4:30 Springfield Art Museum to view the Watercolor USA National Exhibit. The Museum is free, but donations are appreciated.
- Spend the evening in Springfield, MO at Lamplighter Inn and Suites, Individuals will be on their own for dinner. We will have a list of activities to see and do that evening such as visit the original Bass Pro Shops or attend a baseball game of the Springfield Cardinals (AAA Baseball team). The Cardinals will be playing the Frisco Texas Rough Riders starting at 6:30PM. Tickets will range $6 – $25.
Sunday July 1st
- Free continental breakfast at Lamplighter Inn
- Leave Springfield for Bentonville, Arkansas 8:30 AM
- Lunch and Afternoon: At Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
Crystal Bridges. Admission is free
Lunch will cost around $7.50 to $15. per person – beer and wine available.
- Late Afternoon – Leave for Eureka Springs, Arkansas 4:30
Arrive Eureka Springs 6:00. We will be staying at the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks. You are on your own for dinner and to explore the night life of Eureka Springs. Our accommodations include restaurant, pool, Jacuzzi spa, 34 landscaped acres to wander and relax, game room, miniature golf and shuffleboard.
Monday July 2
- Free breakfast in Myrtie Mae’s Restaurant
- Free trolley ticket to explore Eureka Springs
- Explore Eureka Springs until 2:00
- Stop for dinner in Rolla, MO
- Ride back to St Louis arriving back by 9:00 PM